Wednesday, May 14, 2014

brooke's philly cheese steak recipe.

I don't normally post recipes on here, but this is a favorite in our house. After SEVERAL trial and error versions of this sandwich, I've finally perfected it.

I forgot to take a picture of all the ingredients together before I started, so bare with me:

1 Green Pepper
1 Yellow Onion
1 box of Great Value Philly Steak 
3-4 slices of Great Value White American Cheese (make sure it's the WHITE cheese, it makes all the difference)
Hoagie or Deli buns
butter or oil (your choice for cooking the veggies, we use butter)

Start off by slicing your pepper and onion... I always start with the pepper first since it seems to take a little more time to soften up. Keep in mind, we like our veggies with absolutely NO bite left in them (the mushy-er the better). 





Then I add in the onion...




I let them cook for a while, maybe close to 7-8 minutes.




Once they are tender, I add in the meat.

 

After about 2 minutes, flip the meat.






After about another 2 minutes, stab the spoon in the center of the meat to break it up a bit, stir and cook the rest of the way through.




Once the meat is fully cooked, the fun begins... add 3-4 slices of cheese (we only use 3 and think its perfect, but some may like it really super cheesy).






Let it get really melty before stirring.





Now stir it up and let the magic happen!


Now that the cheese is all melted, pile the cheesy goodness onto the buns  :)





To add some extra "oomph" to it, you can also butter and toast the insides of the buns in another pan while your meat is cooking. I typically do this when I have some extra hands to help with Ava at home, but if I'm in a hurry I don't normally do that. I didn't last night. You can make 3 sandwiches with just 2 meat patties (4 come in the pack I linked above), but we just made 2 large ones I didn't even eat all of mine last night. I got so full. We usually just have chips or fries with these, and a pickle of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment