Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sunday FUNday - Thieves Hand Soap!



There has been a lot of concern in the green and medical community in the past 10 years about the overuse of antibacterial hand soap, particularly because it most often contains a chemical called Triclosan. Triclosan has been found to cause hormone disruption in animals and is currently being reviewed by the FDA for safety. Even the FDA’s own site restates that antibacterial soaps may not provide significant benefit over plain soap and water. That being said, I really wanted to try my hand at making my own hand soap for our family.
Did you know that Thieves essential oil blend was university tested for its cleansing abilities? It is highly effective in supporting the immune system and good health. I absolutely love my Thieves Household cleaner, and just knew I needed to make this hand soap to reap the benefits of this amazing oil.

What you'll need: 
  • A foaming soap container (glass is preferable, but plastic will be OK since we aren't using a Citrus oil - I just purchased a foaming hand soap from the Dollar Tree and poured out the contents)
  • 3 tbsp. Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap (I use Baby Mild - Unscented)
  • 5 drops Vitamin E Oil (I used Trader Joe's brand)
  • 1/2 tsp. Vegetable Glycerin (I used NOW brand)
  • 10 drops Young Living Thieves Essential Oil (you can sign up to become a member of Young Living here, or contact me via my Facebok page and I can order this oil for you)
  • water

It is so easy and quick to make! Not to mention if you already have these products on hand, it will save you so much money on soap!

Here is my process:
First, I added the castile soap into the empty soap container, added the vegetable glycerine, added the vitamin E oil, added the Thieves oil, and then topped it off with water; making sure not to overfill it so the pump didn't make it spill over. I just make sure to shake it a little before each use. You would never know this wasn't store bought hand soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment